View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Honeycrisp rootstock availability 

Post Honeycrisp rootstock availability
From what I'm gathering, many varieties of rootstock are difficult to find this year. I'm beginning a small orchard at home. Anyone know where I can purchase Honeycrisp rootstock? I'm from Central NY.

Thank you.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Post Re: Honeycrisp rootstock availability
Honeycrisp is a cultivar prized for it's fruit. I don't believe it is commonly used as a rootstock.

If you are looking for a rootstock on which to graft Honeycrisp, it can go on just about any apple rootstock. From what I understand, it isn not especially vigorous so you might not want to pair it with too size controlling of a rootstock.

You said you are starting a small orchard. Perhaps you might like to just buy a Honeycrisp tree already grafted. If you don't mind paying retail and shipping, there are a number of nurseries that will send you a bare root Honeycrisp tree.

Here in the Pacific Northwest I've been happy with One Green World, Raintree and Burnt Ridge. In the NE I'm sure there are a number of other good choices that will be less expensive to ship.

Honeycrisp is becoming popular enough that this year I have seen it at Costco and Lowes on who knows what rootstock.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]