View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Portland-local source for graft sealant? 

Post Portland-local source for graft sealant?
I popped by my local garden supply store hoping to pick up some graft sealant after the Oregonian's recent article on grafting got me thinking I should try swizzling a few scions between my three plum trees so I can start learning. They didn't have any and weren't sure quite where to suggest I go besides the internet. I'd like to support a local business if possible. Anybody have suggestions of grafting friendly stores? And on the west/southwest side of town?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Post Re: Portland-local source for graft sealant?
West - Southwest… I’d always recommend Portland Nursery first, but they’re inner East-side. If there are any ‘Wilco’ farm stores in your neighborhood, they’ve carried the Doc Farwell’s grafting compound, which is the only product I’d recommend.

Call around, that’s likely the only way some of these (so-called) nurseries will consider stocking such a 'specialty item.' Most of them seem to have the Farwell “seal & heal” compound, and as far as I know, it’s the same formula as the grafting seal - just lacking the bright yellow color.

It’s too bad smaller containers aren’t available to the public… but $13 for that much fun and excitement isn’t all that expensive :mrgreen:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:43 pm

PS, here’s another discussion on the same subject: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3965&p=8160&sid=b0954d6afc1a41cf1afe523d9701580f#p8160

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Raintree sells some color of Doc Farwell by the quart I think, maybe by the pint. If it is the green kind, it seems to work just has well as the yellow kind. I've used both.

Sometimes mom and pop nurseries stock it. That is where I got my last quart of yellow, but it ran $22. When you need it you need it!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]