View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 any ideas on variety of apple this might be? 

Post any ideas on variety of apple this might be?
I live in Vancouver on part of a homestead that dates back to the mid-1800s. There is an old standard size tree on the right of way in (poor thing - no care for many years) that produces hundreds of apples that are red, sweet, crisp and hang on the tree ingood edible condition until Jan - Feb. Only now on the apples still remaining on the tree rotting while still attached. Any idea of the variety? Hoping to maybe get a branch or two next year and get help doing a graft. Seems like a great tree... even if I don't know the variety. Thanks for any help or ideas on this. mary

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:52 am

Post Re: any ideas on variety of apple this might be?
There are still probably 1000 varieties that this could be. It could also be a seedling. Can you post a picture?
Thansk
John S
PDX OR

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Thank you, John. I am afraid it is a very ordinary looking standard tree. I was hoping that hanging onto the fruit so late and it still being very sweet and crisp might ID it. I think I am going to try to graft it next year.... name or not it seems like a good tree to carry on.
Many thanks ... love this site! Really a help to newbies like me.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:37 am

You could bring it to the AAFS or the FPF. WE have an ID team that really knows what they are doing.

John S
PDX OR

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:58 am

Thank you.

I am finally able to reduce my working hours so hoping to have more time to attend wonderful interesting events!!

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]