View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Pictures of plum grafted onto peach tree and green gage 

Post Pictures of plum grafted onto peach tree and green gage
I always love seeing pictures so I thought I'd share some that I hastily took while grafting some plum scions onto a peach tree. The peach tree looked dead a year ago, it was very slow to leaf out. Much of the upper growth was dead but it sent up a bunch of vigorous shoots that looked pretty healthy last summer.

Its to these shoots that I grafted several varieties of European plums. Hopefully some of them will be compatible and thrive being better suited to the environment in my orchard.

I know that Raintree sells multigrafted European plum trees on peach seedling rootstock. A couple of the varieties I used are ones they sell on peach so I think my odds should be pretty good.

For those coming to the Home Orchard Society tour in June, you'll get a chance to see how these took.

The peach tree with the 8' orchard ladder:

A whip and tongue that I haven't yet tied and wrapped. It was mated well enough I probably could have skipped the rubber and gone straight to the parafilm. It's a little blurry:

Nearly done, you can see some of the implements on top of the ladder. I need something better to hold things when I'm standing up there. I'm used to grafting closer to the ground:

Moving on to the Green Gage plum tree that is behind the peach in the previous pictures, I probably cut out 50% of the canopy. I would have taken more if I didn't have to keep the grafts above deer browse level:

A couple of bark grafts on the right and a whip and tongue on the left. Maybe the apple tree off to the right will get this treatment this weekend:

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Post Re: Pictures of plum grafted onto peach tree and green gage
I always love seeing people's experiments. For example, we are growing a volunteer peach tree in our yard right now. If we decide it's too much trouble, we now know we can switch it over to Euro plum.
John S
PDX OR

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]