View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 newly grafted fruit tree- remove buds? 

Post newly grafted fruit tree- remove buds?
From an HOS grafting class and later the scion exchange, I came home with several newly grafted trees (scion onto rootstock). They are all in the ground, and all seem to have nice new, green buds growing above the graft. I have Lapin cherry, Williams Pride and Winochee Early apples, an asian pear and a european pear.

Question: for the ones that have more than one bud above the graft, When do I choose which to save as the new trunk and thus prune the others off? Do I want them to grow several inches, or grow a year, or just pluck all off but one right now, in the growing bud stage?

Thanks!
Brian in Portland, OR

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Post Re: newly grafted fruit tree- remove buds?
I know some will say to cut all but one, but I would let them grow for awhile. Slugs come in and wipe them out and you;'re sorry. I personally would let them grow at least for this growing season. I usually don't cut the others out.
John S
pdx or

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:43 pm

I would allow two to grow. Then if something should happen to one of them, you'll have a backup. But I do think it's best to concentrate the growth in as few shoots as you are comfortable with.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:21 am

Thanks! Didn't realize the slugs may climb the wannabe tree and take the leaves. I'll put out some anti slug stuff and let the buds grow for a while!

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]