Re: Controlling Pear scab or scale.
a lot of pear scab was observed by me this year...
1. spraying is one option. You have tried that.
2. Rake up the leaves under the tree at this time of the year and get rid of them is another option. It may take a few years, but problem can be reduced. http://organicgardeningpractices.com/pearscab.php
3. I have heard of people liming or putting manure over the leaves as an alternative....the idea is to decompose or eliminate the leaves that preserve the spores....the time to think about this is now....do it after the leaves have fallen in the Fall....and BEFORE winter.
4. What varieties of pears are most resistant to scab? I would like to hear.
5. I had a couple pears this morning that were afflicted with scab. They were simply delicious. Personally I have a psychological aversion to eating an apple or pear with a worm in it but i have next to ZERO aversion to eating an ugly apple or pear....and basically the scab problem is totally and completely only psychological and cosmetic....hey, I am not so good looking but I would hate for people to reject me just for that reason....but apparently I am a minority on that one and most people simply don't like scabby pears......other opinions welcome.