View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Apple and Pear Trees Dying 

Post Apple and Pear Trees Dying
My mature apple and young pear trees are dying. Last winter a large limb looked black and never leafed out. I later severely pruned the tree back. During the summer other apple trees had smaller limbs that would die and I would remove those. There are oval patches on some of the larger limbs. I'm not sure if this is related. I've also removed a couple of young pear trees with a similar condition. I would appreciate any help. I again pruned and applied a dormant spray about a month ago.

McMinnville, OR

Dave

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Post Re: Apple and Pear Trees Dying
Sounds like fireblight. 2012 was a really rough year with fireblight running rampant. You should remove all blackened wood and then spray with copper to hopefully kill or at least reduce the disease that remains. Best of luck to you and your trees.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 am

Traditionally, we have not had fireblight. Someone else at the grafting class told me about that too. Bad news. Maybe global warming and climate change are bringing us these "gifts".
John S
PDX OR

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:24 pm

There are oval patches on some of the larger limbs.
Like these? -

If so, it could be Anthracnose. And, “The disease is found to a lesser extent on pear, quince, and crabappleshttp://gardening.wsu.edu/library/tree001/tree001.htm

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]