View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 baby fig trees for good homes 

Post baby fig trees for good homes
A friend discovered a semi-abandoned fig tree in an alley, which is productive of good fruit. He had samples tested at the USDA- Davis site, and the DNA did not match anything in their database. He has been doing a bit to preserve and propagate and has me doing the same.

Right now I have several of these fig trees, maybe about 6"-8" tall, in one gallon pots. They have good root systems and would probably take off if up-potted or given a spot in a yard. If you are close enough to visit me or to meet up with me semi-locally and would like one, let me know.

Dave

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Post Re: baby fig trees for good homes
Do you know anything about the fruit besides that it is good?

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:34 am

What I am told is that the breba is golden in color, brown on the sunny side, with a golden honey colored, turning towards pink, interior, with a quite good flavor. Main crop is expected to be better, more concentrated. My friend is growing his in a place with very few heat units, so his hasn't produced main crop figs yet. That's all I know for now; if I get more info I will share.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Dave,

We could sure give one of your baby figs a home, just N of Corvallis - we've got one unknown older fig on our place, but it's such a late one that we often don't get any fruit! Or only a few, and many buckets of green figs which will fall and rot on the ground if we leave them on the tree......learned from experience;)

I work in Corvallis weekdays, though will be gone the early part of next week.
Drop me a note back if you still have a plant available!
Thanks!
Dave
lotus026@yahoo.com

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 pm
Profile YIM

Would love to give a home to one of your fig trees.... However, I live in Vancouver, WA. If you are going to Canby on the 19th, I would love to pick up one from you there if you still have any left. I love figs and had two unnamed trees when I lived in California. Have been thinking of adding figs to my mini orchard here.
Thank you, mary 360-521-6279.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:17 am

Still have a few without names on them.

Dave

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm

If you are coming to the All About Fruit Show you'll be able to quickly find a home for all of them, and I'd be happy to take one.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:14 am

Just now saw your post from last fall. I currently have about seven varieties of figs, most in pots. I'm always looking for good figs (are there bad ones?) that have a decent size breba crop for our area. I also grow figs from cuttings which I donate for sale at the All About Fruit show in the Fall. If it's not too late, maybe you would consider donating some cuttings for the propagation fair this Sunday. I will be at the plant sale booth.

Joe A.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]