View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Grape Varieties 

Post Grape Varieties
I live in Salem Oregon. I plan to plant grapes in my backyard. I would like to freeze or store some grape juice and also plant a few seedless varieties. What do people recommend? I was initially interested in Glenora, Vanessa and Marquis seedless varieties. Not sure about juice varieties other than Concord. Thanks

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:27 pm
Site Admin

Well, this is not really related to varieties, but I would encourage you to try freezing seedless grapes. Put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them, then transfer to bags. They go great on fruit salads.

Viron had a nice post about some varieties he liked here:
viewtopic.php?t=98

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:17 pm
Profile WWW

PDM, (and Steven - thanks for the link); I recently described a "grape experience" to a friend and thought I'd pass it along. Here in Yamhill County, "The heart of Wine Country" - I'm triangulated between neighboring Vineyards / Wineries. When their (supposed) "bird scaring" propane cannons start up every fall - it's war!
Having complained to the worst offender, he sent me home with two 5 gallon buckets of fresh picked Chardonnay & Pinot Gris grapes. He suggested I make some jelly; instead, I chomped on a bunch - WOW!!! Of all the "European desert table grapes" I grow - those "wine grapes" were beyond compare!
I let my hanging clusters go to the birds and have wondered ever since if I should plant some wine varieties? Yes, they're loaded with seeds! But for juicing, jellies, or even fresh eating - dodging seeds seems a small price to pay.
So if you've clicked on my above recommendations, here's another: consider a "wine grape," or two. I've recently seen them available at a local nursery (in McMinnville), and I think the mail-order nurseries stock them too. If I do any "replacing" - it'll be with one of the above mentioned varities :P !

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:23 pm

The seedless grapes you mention are all right, but there are some excellent seeded grapes, such as Swenson Red, NY Muscat, Price, and others. Reliance is a good seedless for the valley, too.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]