View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Can I graft apples from an apple stem? 

Post Can I graft apples from an apple stem?
I discovered a delicious apple in the store. They say it's a fuji, doesn't look like any fuji I've ever seen...

Anyhow, they all come with a long green fleshy stem! CAn I use this to topwork some rootstock? Please say yes!

Thanks all...

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:50 pm

Beyond specialized laboratory tissue-culture propagation, you need a ‘Bud’ to begin an apple tree. The stem hasn’t any buds… A Bud holds the embryonic structure of the tree; unless it’s a ‘fat flower bud,’ in which it holds the makings of an apple!

If you’re really hot on that particular apple I’d talk to a produce guy in the store you bought it. He may find a box or some identification in which you could contact the actual grower, if through a middle-man or packer… It’s a bit of a long-shot, but if you contacted the grower - ask them which “Sport” of Fuji they grow, or which ‘specific variety’ of Fuji was shipped in ‘that box’ to that store…

“Sports” are slightly varying mutants of a known variety. They’re close enough to the original to maintain its name but different enough to have their own characteristics. Just as the ‘Original Red Delicious’ apple had stripes, what’s commercially planted these days are Sports that have mutated toward totally red.

Good luck :)

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Probably at least as important as the particular sport are the conditions under which the apple was grown which you may not be able replicate in South Carolina.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]