View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Montrose Apricot-Right one for NW? 

Post Montrose Apricot-Right one for NW?
I went up to a scion exchange type event in Tacoma a few years ago, and bought a type of apricot called Montrose. The guy there said that it was growing all over the WEST side of the state of Washington. It was a sport from a tree in Colorado or Utah. A doctor had grown it and brought it to the NW and everyone was amazed that it didn't suffer from diseases like other apricots. I bought a "make-a-tree" like we do in the HOS, but I didn't water it for a week and it died.

I am curious to know if other people have heard of this variety and if it has spread around. If it can make it here, I'd love to grow it.
John S
PDX OR

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:34 am

Post Re: Montrose Apricot-Right one for NW?
Seems to be plenty of hits when I Googled it! Over 10 pages, including your post:) The first one seems to be a pretty good article about it in the Western cascade Fruit Society's newsletter:
http://www.geocities.com/wcfsfruit/newsletter.html

Way more information out there than on a couple of the fruit trees I've bought....so many fruit trees, so little time!
Dave

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:54 pm
Profile YIM

John,
I don't know how 'montrose' will do where you live but I know that there was no succeeding it in the Bellevue WA garden plot. They tried a couple of them for several years before the master gardeners determined the trees were so far gone they could not be saved so they cut them out. I remember them having blossoms in the spring, then getting hammered by rain, then by summer time the leaves finally started looking healthy again. After seeing that and a couple of sap balls sticking out on each one I never bought into the idea that late blooming apricots solved anything. I guess the master gardeners thought the same way because after that they never tried any more apricots.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Thanks Rooney,
That's great data. I guess I'm back to "apricots are too hard to grow in Portland."
John S
PDX OR

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]