View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Protect peach flowers from freezing 

Post Protect peach flowers from freezing
The forecast here is for temps in the mid 20s, possibly. I have a Suncrest peach in my back yard that is very near opening it's flowers, how can I protect it from dropping them if temps do get down below 28 or so?

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 am

Post Re: Protect peach flowers from freezing
How big is the tree?

You could cover it with row cover fabric. Wrap it in Christmas tree lights. Or cover it with something else to insulate it. Plastic. Bubble wrap. I've heard of people using carpets.

I'm not sure if this addresses the flowers exactly, though.

http://www.plantworking.com
Social networking for gardeners

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 am
Profile WWW

Not sure if mid-20's are going to hurt anything. Plum blossoms are open here and it gets in the mid-20's frequently.

Also have a 2 year peach whip from seedling that took all the 5 and 10 degree weather in December and still has 18 perfectly green, functional leaves on it, from last summer! And it is pushing more new growth. So go figure that out!

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 am

Freeze damage depends on what stage the blossoms are in. I don't remember the specifics but the more open, the more risk/more loss experienced. This may be extreme but after seeing the high sprinklers used for frost protection on apples in Yakima, I put in some 10' high sprinklers that will be operated by a thermostat connected to a sprinkler valve. The thermostat is adjustable within 20 to 80 degrees F. I tested it out last week and it worked great. Here in Northern Utah we get some hard late frosts!

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]