View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dormant yet-Time to take scions? 

Post Dormant yet-Time to take scions?
We've had a pretty late year. I still have a few leaves left on the trees. WE haven't had the defining 23 degree or so day yet. I think we've had a lot of freezes in most places, but a hard freeze? Do you think it's time to take scions yet? This is the least defined year I can remember as to when the plants are officially dormant.
Thanks,
John S
PDX OR

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:51 pm

Post Re: Dormant yet-Time to take scions?
I think it’s a good time to take scions… for the next month in fact. Leaves have been late to fall but no damaging cold - and I suspect everything’s dormant – Thanks for the reminder :P

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:11 am

Why so early? Why not wait until late January so they don't have be stored so long? Access?

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Not to get off topic, but it's been a very mild fall and early winter so far, even here in Ohio. There are still leaves on my elderberry, blackberries, and my maypop vines have yet to die back at all. With the warmer weather I've been getting here these past few years, I may be able to start growing some zone 6-7 fruits with gusto.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:06 pm

In late January to early February, some plants start flowering and "bleeding" like kiwis and I think some grapes. There's also just so much other stuff to do that it's nice to get some of your pile done, instead of waitiing too long and getting none of it done. When the perfect time comes, there are always so many other things to do. I start grafting aronia and quince in February, because they start growing. Cornus mas usually starts flowering in February.
John S
PDX OR

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:19 pm

John: “it's nice to get some of your pile done” – Still smiling, and my Quote Of The Day :mrgreen:

…and it’s a pile :roll:

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]